The Synology DiskStation DS220+ is a very powerful mid-range NAS enclosure. Not only does it come with an Intel processor and two drive bays, but it also has upgradable DDR4 RAM. This allows one to bump the 2GB preinstalled capacity to a total of 6GB.
How to upgrade RAM in Synology DiskStation DS220+
Installing a module into the Synology DiskStation DS220+ is a straightforward process and takes a few moments. No tools are required.
- Power down the Synology DiskStation DS220+.
- Take out the two hard drive bays.
- The RAM slot is located on the side where the power button is.
- Take out the newly purchased RAM from its packaging.
- Carefully insert the module into the slot, matching the notch to that on the module.
- Re-insert the hard drive bays.
These steps are optional but highly recommended.
- Open up Synology Assistant.
- Click the cog icon in the top-right.
- Enable “Memory test”.
- Right-click the Synology DiskStation DS220+ on the list to start the memory test.
Once this test has been completed successfully, log into the Synology DiskStation DS220+ to ensure the RAM is being read correctly and you should be good to go! Having upgradable RAM makes the DS220+ one of the best NAS out there.
Synology RAM (D4NESO-2666-4G)
This official RAM upgrade kit from Synology ensures your NAS will be running at full potential without any concern of incompatibility. It’s just a little on the expensive side.