Synology DiskStation DS420+ is a very powerful NAS enclosure. It’s one of the best NAS for those wanting one with four drive bays. It’s perfect for Plex Media Server and other scenarios. If you did need additional performance, upgrading the RAM is an easy process that takes a few minutes.
How to upgrade RAM in Synology DiskStation DS420+
Installing an additional RAM module inside the Synology DiskStation DS420+ is simple and requires no additional tools.
- Power down the Synology DiskStation DS420+.
- Take out the two hard drive bays.
- The RAM slot is located on the side where the power button is.
- Take out the newly purchased RAM from its packaging.
- Carefully insert the module into the slot, matching the notch to that on the module.
- Re-insert the hard drive bays.
These steps are optional but highly recommended.
- Open up Synology Assistant.
- Click the cog icon in the top-right.
- Enable “Memory test”.
- Right-click the Synology DiskStation DS420+ on the list to start the memory test.
While I wouldn’t expect a module to have errors, it’s best to check with this built-in tool before relying on it in a live environment. Once the test has been complete and everything is good to go, you’ll have one awesome enclosure.
Choosing to upgrade the RAM to a total of 6GB will make the DS420+ an even better choice for those seeking the best NAS.
Synology RAM (D4NESO-2666-4G)
This official RAM upgrade kit from Synology ensures your NAS will be running at full potential without any concern of incompatibility. It’s just a little on the expensive side.